Recipe by plantfreek
A simple, easy to make, flavorful dish your family will enjoy. This dish can be served with white or brown rice depending on your family's preferences. If you are using white rice, start cooking it and then start preparing the sukiyaki. If you want to serve brown rice, start the brown rice 20 minutes ahead of stir fry cooking so they will both be done at the same time. If you like heat in your dishes you can add hot chili oil or red pepper flakes to taste. Bon appetit--
Top Review by Chef Sandra B
Unlike the other recipies posted here, this one is almost real sukiyaki. Sukiyaki does not use green peppers or corn like the others try to tell you. You can use spinach if Napa cabbage is not available. The one change I recommend to make it authentic is to use cellophane noodles, not rice. A wok is nice, but a frying pan can work. Keep all veggies separated-none get mixed. A very impressive dish! Guests will be most impressed!
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin strips
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 4 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 head chinese napa cabbage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well, and set aside.
- Pour oil around the top of a preheated wok or large skillet; heat at medium high (375degrees) for 2 minutes.
- Add steak, and stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink; push steak up sides of wok.
- Add sliced onion to work and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add green onions, celery, and mushrooms; stir-fry 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Push vegetable mixture up sides of wok.
- Add bamboo shoots to wok, and stir-fry 1 minute. Add tofu, cabbage, and soy sauce mixture; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or til mixture is thoroughly heated. Push mixture up sides of wok.
- Combine cornstarch and water, stirring til smooth. Pour cornstarch mixture into center of wok; bring to a boil. Push steak and vegetable mixture back down into center of wok. Stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or til mixture is thoroughly heated. Serve immediately over rice.