1/1 Photo of Oatmeal Molasses Bread - No Yeast Quick Bread
This is a dark "quick bread" that is fast and easy to prepare. Because it doesn't use yeast, you don't need to knead it or let it rise. Don't be put off by the long list of instructions. It's just that the recipe is very detailed. I am not a breadmaker and managed this recipe quite successfully. From Cooking Light, October 2002. This was published as part of an article pairing soup recipes with bread recipes. The "partner" for this recipe is Mexican Ham and Bean Soup, which is also delicious. This is also nice spread with a little butter for breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal or 1 tablespoon polenta
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Combine milk, oats, molasses and oil in a bowl.
- 3Measure flours by lightly spooning into measuring cups and levelling with a knife. As you may know, "scooping" flour will cause you to use too much.
- 4Whisk or sift together flours, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- 5Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir just until combined.
- 6Add raisins, stirring "until the dough pulls together in a shaggy mass". The original recipe suggests a wooden spoon for this.
- 7Split dough in half. With each half, turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute. Expect the dough to be sticky and wet. Form into a 6-inch round loaf and place on a baking tray sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 8Make 3, 1/4 inch deep, diagonal cuts across each loaf.
- 9Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, then for 15 minutes more at 375°F These loaves will look browned before they are actually finished, so test for doneness by "knocking" on the bottom of the loaf. It will sound hollow when finished.
- 10Let stand about 15 minutes before slicing to serve.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Molasses Bread - No Yeast Quick Bread
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.4
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 861.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: