Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I first got married, I couldn't cook, but I did charm my husband with this dish. This was one of the first dishes that I made, that I didn't ruin. It is a very hearty, robust, satisfying, comfort meal. Oysters, shrimp and rice...ummmm, perfect with a crusty bread and butter. Please don't let the ingredients turn you off....they blend beautifully together...I hope that you will enjoy this as much as we do.
- 2 tablespoons oil, olive
- 1 pint oyster, fresh, shucked
- 2 onions, sweet, chopped, medium size
- 1 shallot, french, finely minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 red pepper, small, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, small, finely chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, raw, large, shelled & deveined
- 1 cup rice, long grain
- 2 cups tomatoes, stewed, drained, chopped
- 2 cups broth, chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, coarse, sea
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, black, fresh ground
- 1 teaspoon sugar, white
- 1⁄8 cup parsley, minced
- Heat olive oil and add the shucked oysters. Cook over low heat until the edges begin to curl.
- Remove the oysters from the pan and refrigerate until needed.
- In the same frying pan cook the onions, shallot, garlic and peppers for 2 - 3 minutes on low.
- Next add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turns pink. Add a little more olive oil if necessary.
- You will also remove the shrimp from the pan and refrigerate along with the oysters until needed.
- Bring the pan up to medium heat, add the rice, stirring constantly until the rice browns.
- Next add the tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme, sea salt, pepper and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the oysters and shrimps back into the rice and heat thru, stirring gently.
- Garnish with the minced parsley.
I really don't know why it took me so long to tag this. I have looked at it many times over a period of years and very glad that I finally tried it. After talking to BK I used smoked oysters as fresh (or even "fresh" in a jar) isn't available here. The recipe is simple and easy to follow. I made as directed and then did add some Buffalo sauce to my serving and DH was happy with it as was. It's a twofer that was a winner with both of us. Thank you much my friend, we love your recipe. :D