1/1 Photo of Jambalaya With a Twist
1 hr 30 mins
Baby Kato's Note:
When I first got married, I couldn't cook, but I did charm my husband with this dish. This was one of the first dishes that I made, that I didn't ruin. It is a very hearty, robust, satisfying, comfort meal. Oysters, shrimp and rice...ummmm, perfect with a crusty bread and butter. Please don't let the ingredients turn you off....they blend beautifully together...I hope that you will enjoy this as much as we do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil, olive
- 1 pint oyster, fresh, shucked
- 2 onions, sweet, chopped, medium size
- 1 shallot, french, finely minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 red pepper, small, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, small, finely chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, raw, large, shelled & deveined
- 1 cup rice, long grain
- 2 cups tomatoes, stewed, drained, chopped
- 2 cups broth, chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, coarse, sea
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black, fresh ground
- 1 teaspoon sugar, white
- 1/8 cup parsley, minced
- 1Heat olive oil and add the shucked oysters. Cook over low heat until the edges begin to curl.
- 2Remove the oysters from the pan and refrigerate until needed.
- 3In the same frying pan cook the onions, shallot, garlic and peppers for 2 - 3 minutes on low.
- 4Next add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turns pink. Add a little more olive oil if necessary.
- 5You will also remove the shrimp from the pan and refrigerate along with the oysters until needed.
- 6Bring the pan up to medium heat, add the rice, stirring constantly until the rice browns.
- 7Next add the tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme, sea salt, pepper and sugar and bring to a boil.
- 8Cover and simmer on low heat until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- 9Add the oysters and shrimps back into the rice and heat thru, stirring gently.
- 10Garnish with the minced parsley.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya With a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.6
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 295.8 mg
- Sodium 2089.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 41.9 g