Recipe by MarkG
This is yet another "souped up" version of the popular Taco Soup recipes already available. Although there's nothing wrong with the other versions out there, this is just what I feel to be the "Cadillac" edition. A little bit of everything...from a can. This recipe makes quite a bit due to using standard can sizes, but trust me, it gets better as left-overs...
Top Review by Chef Petunia
GREAT soup ~ don't let the ingredients scare you. This is fabulous. I couldn't find Ranch-Style Beans so I used a can of Chili Beans. You may want to rinse the beans off to reduce the sodium but overall, it is great.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (Original recipe recommended)
- 1 (16 ounce) can ranch style beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney, can use other white beans like great northern if unavailable)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can hominy (white or yellow)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (stems & pieces are fine)
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives
- 1 (4 ounce) can green olives (typically difficult to find small can or jar so I just slice up some pimento-stuffed queen olives an)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb shredded chicken
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (ale style like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada is recommeded)
- 2 teaspoons frank's hot sauce (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat along with bell pepper in large skillet.
- Drain the cans beans (not the Ranch Style, hominy, and olives into a bowl and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large crock pot and mix well.
- Add only enough of the liquid drained from the beans, hominy and olives required to just cover the ingredients.
- Cook on low setting for up to 8 hours (preffered) or high setting for 4 hours.
- Garnish as appropriate. I like a little shredded cheese and some saltine crakers. Enjoy!