This is yet another "souped up" version of the popular Taco Soup recipes already available. Although there's nothing wrong with the other versions out there, this is just what I feel to be the "Cadillac" edition. A little bit of everything...from a can. This recipe makes quite a bit due to using standard can sizes, but trust me, it gets better as left-overs...
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (Original recipe recommended)
- 1 (16 ounce) can ranch style beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney, can use other white beans like great northern if unavailable)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can hominy (white or yellow)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (stems & pieces are fine)
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives
- 1 (4 ounce) can green olives (typically difficult to find small can or jar so I just slice up some pimento-stuffed queen olives an)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb shredded chicken
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (ale style like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada is recommeded)
- 2 teaspoons frank's hot sauce (or to taste)
- Brown meat along with bell pepper in large skillet.
- Drain the cans beans (not the Ranch Style, hominy, and olives into a bowl and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large crock pot and mix well.
- Add only enough of the liquid drained from the beans, hominy and olives required to just cover the ingredients.
- Cook on low setting for up to 8 hours (preffered) or high setting for 4 hours.
- Garnish as appropriate. I like a little shredded cheese and some saltine crakers. Enjoy!