1/1 Photo of Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
1 hr 5 mins
Midnight Sun Chef's Note:
From Cook Yourself Thin
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lb of 1 inch thick boneless pork chop, trimmed of fat and cut into one inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, peeled trimmed and cut into one inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into one inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1To make the pork chops: Combine sherry, pepper, 1 tbsp of the soy sauce and 1/2 tsp of the sugar in a medium bowl. Add pork and gently toss until well coated. Let marinade in the refrigerator.
- 2Stir together pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar, the remaining tbsp of soy sauce and remaining tsp of sugar in a small bowl until well combined.
- 3Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but still a little crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large dish. Heat another tbsp of the oil in the same skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but still a little crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the same dish.
- 4Heat remaining tbsp of oil in the same skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pork cubes, arranging in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed, until a golden brown crust forms on the bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the cubes over and cook until a golden brown crust forms on the other side, about 1 1/2 minutes.Return onion and peppers to the pan and toss to combine. Add pineapple juice mixture and cook, stirring, until sauce evenly coats everything and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 5For the brown rice: In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil and add the rice. Cover with lid and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the grains and serve.
- 6Should be 1 1/2 cups brown rice but it kept leaving that measurement out!
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.1
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 81.3 mg
- Sodium 629.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 35.9 g