Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great recipe with your "starch" already prepared along with your meat. Once it's in the oven you just forget about it until dinner time. Also a great make ahead dish!!! Easily doubled or tripled.
- 4 medium pork chops
- 6 tablespoons raw rice
- 1 can consomme or 1 can broth or 1 can bouillon (chicken is best)
- 1 pinch marjoram
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 large onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 green pepper, cut in slices
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat
- Brown chops in fat in skillet.
- While browning put rice in bottom of greased casserole and slice vegetables.
- Lay chops on rice and top each with one slice tomato and one slice pepper.
- Season as you go.
- Pour consomme in, add majoram and thyme.
- Cover and bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for one hour.
This was a family favorite when I was a kid. The thyme is very important. It is easy, but yummy and filling. I am making it tonight! It has been a while since we have had this dish.
This is a great recipe. My husband and I really enjoyed it. Used a 14.5 oz. can of whole tomatoes, cut up and w/the juice. Thanks very much!