1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From Good Food Magazine, January 1988. Serve with a nice Rioja wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, trimmed
- 6 chicken wings, trimmed
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled, tails intact
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices (or kielbasa)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, coarsely broken up in colander and drained well
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups italian short-grain rice (Arborio or Tesori)
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar whole roasted red peppers, drained, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 6 small mussels, soaked, scrubbed, bearded
- 12 -16 stuffed Spanish olives
- 1Heat oil in deep oven proof 12-inch skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat. Add thighs and saute, turning once, about 5 minutes. Add wings and saute, turning all pieces once or twice, until light golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- 2Add shrimp to skillet and cook, tossing frequently, 1 minute. Transfer to plate.
- 3Add onion and bell pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in sausage, garlic, bay leaf, saffron, and thyme; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up tomatoes, about 5 minutes.
- 4Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Add rice to skillet and stir with large fork until grains are translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour broth into quart measure, spoon off fat, and add enough cold water to make 1 quart. Pour diluted broth into skillet and increase heat slightly. Heat to boiling, then gently boil 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- 6Tuck chicken and shrimp into rice. Scatter roasted red peppers and peas over top.
- 7Bake uncovered until liquid is absorbed but rice is still moist, about 15 minutes. Add mussels and bake 5 minutes longer.
- 8Remove skillet from oven and cover tightly with foil. Let stand 5 minutes. Scatter olives over paella and serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Paella
Serving Size: 1 (699 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 929.3
- Calories from Fat 433
- Total Fat 48.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 210.6 mg
- Sodium 1541.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 53.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: