Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Good Food Magazine, January 1988. Serve with a nice Rioja wine.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, trimmed
- 6 chicken wings, trimmed
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled, tails intact
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices (or kielbasa)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, coarsely broken up in colander and drained well
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups italian short-grain rice (Arborio or Tesori)
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jarwhole roasted red peppers, drained, diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 6 small mussels, soaked, scrubbed, bearded
- 12 -16 stuffed Spanish olives
- Heat oil in deep oven proof 12-inch skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat. Add thighs and saute, turning once, about 5 minutes. Add wings and saute, turning all pieces once or twice, until light golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add shrimp to skillet and cook, tossing frequently, 1 minute. Transfer to plate.
- Add onion and bell pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in sausage, garlic, bay leaf, saffron, and thyme; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up tomatoes, about 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add rice to skillet and stir with large fork until grains are translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour broth into quart measure, spoon off fat, and add enough cold water to make 1 quart. Pour diluted broth into skillet and increase heat slightly. Heat to boiling, then gently boil 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Tuck chicken and shrimp into rice. Scatter roasted red peppers and peas over top.
- Bake uncovered until liquid is absorbed but rice is still moist, about 15 minutes. Add mussels and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Remove skillet from oven and cover tightly with foil. Let stand 5 minutes. Scatter olives over paella and serve hot.