7 hrs 40 mins
Hope you enjoy this. (Prep time includes chilling time for filling).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Almond cream filling
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 ounces almond paste, diced (scant 1/2 cup packed)
- 6 ounces good-quality white chocolate, finely chopped (such as Lindt or Baker's)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup raspberry preserves
Almond cream cheese frosting
- 2 (10 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- assorted fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries(whatever you want)
- currant jelly, warmed (or other(raspberry would be good!)
- 1For almond cream filling: Pour half and half into medium saucepan.
- 2Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and bring cream to simmer.
- 3Remove from heat; cover and steep 15 minutes.
- 4Blend sugar and flour in medium bowl.
- 5Whisk in eggs, then warm half and half mixture; return to same pan.
- 6Add almond paste.
- 7Whisk over medium heat until almond paste dissolves and custard boils, about 10 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Add white chocolate and butter; whisk until melted and smooth.
- 10Press plastic wrap onto custard; chill 3 hours.
- 11Remove vanilla bean.
- 12Beat cream to peaks; fold into custard in 3 additions.
- 13Cover; chill at least 6 hours.
- 14(This part can be done 2 days in advance--keep chilled.) For cake: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 15Butter and flour two 10-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- 16Sift flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt into large bowl.
- 17Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup lukewarm water into dry ingredients; beat in oil, egg yolks, both extracts, and peel.
- 18Using clean dry beaters, beat whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- 19Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- 20Fold whites into batter in 3 additions.
- 21Measure 4 2/3 cups batter into 1 prepared pan and 3 1/3 cups batter into second pan.
- 22Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes for thinner cake and 30 minutes for larger cake.
- 23Cool cakes in pans on racks 10 minutes.
- 24Cut around cakes and turn out onto racks; cool completely.
- 25Place thinner cake on 9-inch-diameter tart pan bottom.
- 26Spread with 1/2 cup preserves, leaving 1/2-inch plain border.
- 27Spoon 1 1/2 cups filling in dollops atop preserves; spread evenly.
- 28Chill until filling is firm, about 15 minutes.
- 29Cut larger cake horizontally in half.
- 30Place 1 half, cut side down, atop chilled filling.
- 31Spread with 1/2 cup preserves, leaving 1/2-inch plain border.
- 32Spoon 1 1/2 cups filling in dollops atop preserves; spread evenly.
- 33Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down.
- 34Cover cake and remaining filling; chill 3 hours.
- 35For almond cream cheese frosting:.
- 36Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar, and both extracts in large bowl to blend.
- 37Beat in 3/4 cup remaining filling.
- 38Spread 1 cup frosting thinly over sides and top of cake.
- 39Spread cake with remaining frosting, building high rim around top edge.
- 40(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill.).
- 41Mound berries on top of cake.
- 42Brush top of berries with warm jelly to glaze.
- 43Serve immediately, or chill up to 6 hours.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mixed-Berry Chiffon Cake With Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 750.4
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 195.7 mg
- Sodium 348.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 56.8 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: