Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Vegetarian, low fat Spanish Rice
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice (I prefer regular cooked rice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato juice
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add rice, onion, and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- If using regular rice cook rice first.
- Add rice to sauteed ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.
Made this tonight to go with Margarita grilled chicken and it was fantastic! I chopped up a small jalapeño to go in it also, to give it more kick. The whole family loved it.
This was so good and quick to get to the table! I added a bit more chili powder so it could have more of a kick, this one is a keeper :)
This is a great tasting recipe! Make it all the time just as listed EXCEPT I use 1 can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies instead of the reg.canned tomatoes.. & V8 for the juice. Excellent Flavor and quite healthy!