Ww Low Fat Baked Tomato Rice
photo by WiGal
- Ready In:
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons finely grated reduced-fat parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Put the rice in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the finely diced onion.
- Crumble in the chicken stock cubes and pour over the boiling water. Stir to dissolve the stock.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, italian seasoning, parmesan cheese and garlic. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Stir to mix well.
- Cover with a lid or tin foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover after 45 minutes. Stir and bake a further 10 minutes uncovered or until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve hot or allow to cool and store in the fridge to be reheated.
- NB: If reheating in the microwave the next day, add a little water before heating, to avoid the rice drying out.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummy! I love oven recipes. After reading another reviewer saying it was a bit mushy, I decided to drain the tomatoes into a bowl and then subbed the tomato liquid in for part of the water. Definitely not mushy. The tomato liquid was almost a full cup, so that would make a difference. I served as a side dish with fish, and think it would serve more than 3 people-maybe 6 which would also change the NF. Thank you Shuzbud for posting. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
I really enjoyed the taste of this. I used garlic & olive oil tomato accents, instead of plain tomatoes which added to the flavour. I even shredded some mozarella over my serving & melted it in the microwave (which gave it a pizza-like flavour). This is a very versatile recipe. Tonite, I am browning some lean ground beef & mixing it with the remainder for a heartier "dh" friendly meal. Thanks Shuzbud! Made for Everyday Holiday Tag-Dec09.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a primary school teacher living in Bristol, England. At the moment I teach Kindergarten, known here as Reception. I really love my job but it doesn't leave much time for hobbies! I enjoy cooking for friends and aim to try new recipes as often as possible! My signature dish has to be White Chocolate Blondies, as it is my most requested sweet treat, and I definitely have a sweet tooth! Update- 5-5-09: Somebody was very thoughtful and gave me the gift of a premium membership. I can honestly say it made me feel so good! If you're out there, THANK YOU so much! I can't quite believe the generosity... <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"X> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/holidayprmr2.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7505/mybanner4a394ee84d5f0.jpg" > <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">