Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
This is one of my creations that I served with Chicken and Veal Marsala, Fettuccini Alfredo, and Italian Garlic Bread for a dinner I had with company last winter... It was a perfect salad to serve with my special Italian dinner!
Top Review by MichelleOnTheLake
Most delicious! Now your talking Italian here!!! This side salad went so well with my Italian dinner that I made for DS and his girlfriend. We enjoyed every bite. We all agreed it is one of the best salads we have ever had, and it went especially well with our pasta. I loved the addition of the pepperoncini's and artichokes. This is a keeper and is now in my favorite recipe file!
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cups red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, lg. stems removed, then torn
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red onion, sliced, then each slice cut into thirds
- 2 (8 ounce) cansquartered artichokes, drained
- 6 pepperoncini peppers, cut in half
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into slices, then cut in half
- 1 (14 ounce) can black olives, cut in half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic and herbed croutons (optional)
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese (optional)
spicy Italian dressing
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil, I used extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar, I used white
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, I used 2 teaspoons of dried my friend made
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Add greens to a lg. salad bowl. Mix well.
- Add peppers, onions, artichokes, pepperocini peppers, tomatoes and black olives. Mix well with salad forks or with your hands.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Make dressing.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Mix oil, vinegar, sugar, thyme, dry mustard and garlic together well in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add to salad mix right before serving, and mix well with salad forks.
- Add Parmigiano Reggiano, if using.
- Top with croutons, and serve.