Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of my creations that I served with Chicken and Veal Marsala, Fettuccini Alfredo, and Italian Garlic Bread for a dinner I had with company last winter... It was a perfect salad to serve with my special Italian dinner!
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cups red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, lg. stems removed, then torn
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red onion, sliced, then each slice cut into thirds
- 2 (8 ounce) cansquartered artichokes, drained
- 6 pepperoncini peppers, cut in half
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into slices, then cut in half
- 1 (14 ounce) can black olives, cut in half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic and herbed croutons (optional)
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese (optional)
spicy Italian dressing
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil, I used extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar, I used white
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, I used 2 teaspoons of dried my friend made
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Add greens to a lg. salad bowl. Mix well.
- Add peppers, onions, artichokes, pepperocini peppers, tomatoes and black olives. Mix well with salad forks or with your hands.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Make dressing.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Mix oil, vinegar, sugar, thyme, dry mustard and garlic together well in a bowl with a whisk.
- Add to salad mix right before serving, and mix well with salad forks.
- Add Parmigiano Reggiano, if using.
- Top with croutons, and serve.
Most delicious! Now your talking Italian here!!! This side salad went so well with my Italian dinner that I made for DS and his girlfriend. We enjoyed every bite. We all agreed it is one of the best salads we have ever had, and it went especially well with our pasta. I loved the addition of the pepperoncini's and artichokes. This is a keeper and is now in my favorite recipe file!
I can honestly say, I don't know when I have enjoyed a salad more than this one. It is one of the most flavorful salads that I have ever eaten. My DH went for seconds and ate every last leaf in the bowl!! This will be enjoyed many more times and I have given the recipe out to a couple of my friends and my family as well. A true treasure if you are a salad lover like me!!!
Outstanding salad and dressing. I thought I had already reviewed this. I've made it at least 3 times and love love love it. I did use balsamic vinegar, but plan to also try it with the white. I served it with filet mignon and a sweet pasta salad. Thank you so much for sharing!