Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Good and relatively easy recipe for Jambalaya. I like this really spicy but you can cut down. You can do it with only sausage or only shrimp or both.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ham, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1 lb medium shrimp (optional)
- 1 lb smoked hot sausage, sliced
- salt and pepper
- In a dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, peppers, and garlic and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add the ham and chicken and saute till chicken is slightly browned.
- Add tomato products, water, bouillion, seasonings, and sauces. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat, covered, for about 45 minutes.
- Add the rice, sausage, and shrimp. Cook until rice is done. About 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with more tabasco on the side.