Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Cut out core of cabbage and discard any tough or discolored outside leaves.
- Slice cabbage in half or quarters, then slice lengthwise into 1/8-inch shreds.
- You should have about 12 cups.
- Toss cabbage and onion in large nonstick skillet and add currants, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, oil and stock.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then cover.
- Reduce heat to medium and braise, stirring occasionally, until there is only a small amount of liquid left and cabbage is moist and just slightly crunchy, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- (If skillet starts to dry before cabbage is done, add a little more stock and continue cooking.) Adjust seasonings and serve.
- Comments: You can vary this dish to suit your taste or ingredients on hand.
- Use regular or savoy cabbage; add minced garlic, apple slices or caraway seeds; or use part red wine or apple cider in the braising liquid.