Posting for ZWT6 German/Benelux region. Known as Kartoffelsalat, this side dish is popular throughout Germany. Use pale lager when preparing the salad, as a darker beer will discolor the potatoes. Recipe is from myrecipes.com.
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped sweet pickle
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- To prepare salad, place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Combine potatoes, red onion, and next 6 ingredients (through 2 tablespoons vinegar); toss gently.
- To prepare dressing, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 cup yellow onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add 3/4 cup beer and next 4 ingredients (through pepper); bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 6 minutes).
- Place mixture in a food processor. Add mustard to food processor; process until smooth. With processor on, slowly pour remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil through food chute, processing until smooth.
- Pour dressing over potato mixture; toss gently.
- Serve immediately.