Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This came from my sister who got it from her sister-in-law at a family reunion. Onions have mild sweet flavor -- not over powering. Makes excellent side dish.
- 1 cup white rice (cook as directed with 1 tsp. salt)
- 7 cups vidalia onions, medium diced (Seems like a lot, but it cooks down)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, grated (1/2 pound)
- Sauate onions in butter til soft.
- Combine ingredients and place in 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Can be made a day ahead. Tastes even better the next day.
- Makes great leftovers.
Highly Recommend this, would be wonderful for Thanksgiving. Everyone loved it. It will be on the menu many time through the year. I did not have Swiss Cheese, so used Mexican Blend and it was great. Thanks
This was sooooo unexpectingly awesome!!!!!! One that my whole family enjoyed. Everybody thought it was a potato casserole.
Oh, so yummy! I must admit I didn't follow directions very well. I didn't saute the onions, I used a deeper casserole dish, and I didn't have any swiss cheese so I used a pre-shred mexican blend. None of that mattered though, because the end result was so tasty! Excellent idea! I will be making this as often as those bags of onions go on sale. Maybe even when they're not, because this is just that good. Thank you! ~Lana~