No Cheese-Whiz Broccoli Rice Casserole
photo by A Marsteller
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Cook onion in butter in large skillet until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook just until cheese is melted.
- Put in 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 (uncovered) for 1 hour.
- To make ahead and freeze: Mix all ingredients together (start with your rice cooked, not raw) and spoon into two or even three smaller casserole dishes, cover, label and freeze. If you thaw overnight, just cook the one hour. If cooking from frozen state, add ten minutes or so, check for doneness. Many thanks to Tornado Ali, for her wonderful tips for freezing this.
Questions & Replies
Going to give this a 5 because it was a great base, after reading reviews I did add the following: 2 oz of cheese (bringing the total to 10 oz) (we also used White Extra sharp cheddar cheese), 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. I did use cream of mushroom. Baked it for exactly what it said. Yum!
I've made this twice now and my family loves it! I did make a few minor changes to it though. I cooked the rice in veggie broth with a "not-chicken" bouillon cube thrown in for a ton of added flavor, added 8 ounces of mushrooms to the veggies, used sharp cheddar cheese, used a little more cream of mushroom soup than was called for and sprinkled with cayenne powder before baking. It turned out delish!! Thanks for the recipe.
EXCELLENT!! my son LOVED broccoli casserole as a child and this Christmas asked me to make it and I was so touched because it brought back so many memories. I looked for a recipe similar to what I used to make and found this. EVERYONE LOVED IT!! I used 1 can of cream mushroom and 1 can of cream chicken and extra sharp cheddar. It seemed a little stiff so I added some milk until it had the consistency I wanted. Added a panko and asiago topping and my son ABSOLUTELY loved it as did everyone else at dinner. It was a real winner and I can't thank you enough for this wonderful recipe!!!
This is a great recipe to play around with and make your own. I replaced white rice with an organic sprouted rice and quinoa blend. I lightly steamed fresh broccoli (keep it crisp) and chopped to add. I sauteed/chopped a half pint of baby bella mushrooms with half a yellow onion and threw in. I used 2 cans of healthy request cream of mushroom soup. I shredded sharp cheddar from the block for a more robust flavor and added a panko crumb topping. I cooked foil covered at 300 for and hour and half b/c I was gone and came home to an amazing smell. I took off the foil and did a quick low broil to melt cheese and brown the crumbs and served immediately with a homemade applesauce. It was DELICIOUS!!!