Don't let the fact that it's made with V-8 fool you. The sauce thickens and becomes almost unrecognizable as having V-8 in it. I cobbled this recipe together between BH&G, mom, and Joy. It makes a lot, but that's ok, because the leftovers get more delicious with time, as the flavors blend with each other.
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (for the meat)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (for the meat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups v-8 vegetable juice cocktail
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules or 2 teaspoons crushed beef bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (for the stew)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (for the stew)
- 3 -5 dashes hot pepper sauce (use as much or as little as you'd like) (optional)
- 3 cups celery, sliced
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Season the beef with the thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Place flour in a covered bowl or a large sealable plastic bag.
- Add the beef, a small batch at a time, and shake to coat pieces.
- Shake off excess flour.
- Repeat until all the meat is coated.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil or fat over medium-high heat.
- Add the meat in batches and brown the meat on all sides.
- Do not crowd the pan or scorch the meat.
- Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Repeat until all the meat is browned.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp of fat from the pan (if there is not enough, add enough to make 2 Tbsp).
- In a Dutch oven or a large stockpot, heat the oil or fat over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan and stir to coat and combine.
- Stir in vegetable juice, bouillon, hot pepper sauce, bay leaves, thyme, marjoram, and water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer for 1 1/4 hours, stirring every 10 minutes or so (making sure no residue thickens on the bottom of the pan).
- Stir in celery, potatoes, and carrot.
- Cover; simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Skim off fat.
- Serve over fresh-cooked egg noodles or white rice.