Mahogany Beef Stew
You will not believe the deeply satisfying flavour of this stew. This is our favourite wintry stew dish - comfort food to the max. The cooking time is more or less accurate, but it really depends on the cut of meat used - not everyone used chuck, and then, not all chuck is the same! You really have to poke and prod and taste to get it to where you want it...but that's what cooking is all about, isn't it? ;-)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups good-quality red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce (this is the critical ingredient, don't leave it out!)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb slender carrot, peeled, cut diagonally into 1 inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over high heat.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- Add meat to pot; sautï¿½ until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Push meat to sides of pot.
- Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot.
- Add onions; sautï¿½ until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Mix meat into onions.
- Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, garlic, herbs, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots and 1 cup wine.
- Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Season stew with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Excellent with buttered egg noodles.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I made this stew using all the exact ingredients as listed; however, I didn't want to go through the various steps, so just put everything in the crock pot except the carrots, corn starch, water, and parsley (which I added in during the last hour of cooking). I set the crock pot on high for 15 minutes and then turned to low for about 8 or 9 hours. It came out fantastic! (I used a dry red wine, not sweet.) I added some frozen mixed vegies (corn, peas, etc) to leftovers the next day, and nuked individual bowls. Served with flaky dinner rolls. The alcohol dissipates during cooking, so this is a family-friendly dish. I also used pre-tenderized beef, already cut up.
I made recipe as written except I added potatoes. It was delicious. I shared with some neighbors who also said it was perfect for a fall night. Some reviewers said it was too sweet. I tasted the sauce in the first stage (after adding 1st cup of wine), and I agreed with them. I continued on and added the 2nd cup of wine. After adding the 2nd cup of wine and cooking a bit it was perfect. I used a good Bordeaux. I added the carrots at the beginning when all the other ingredients were added. They were perfect. I added the potatoes with the 2nd cup of wine so they wouldn't turn to mush.