The Best Browned Beef Stew Ever
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb cubed beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery, with a few minced leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch thyme
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- Put flour, salt and pepper in a large ziploc bag.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.
- Place meat in bag with the flour and shake until well coated.
- Shake off meat pieces and add them to the oil and stir until slightly browned, Add remaining flour from the bag and the finely chopped onion.
- Stir until well browned.
- Add finely chopped carrot and next 4 ingredients.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours (stirring every 15 minutes).
- Add diced potatoes, carrots, and onions, cook for another 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Join The Conversation
This was the best stew we’ve had since my Grandma’s “forever” recipe!! We loved it!! I did tweak it just a bit. I browned the diced, seasoned chuck steak first, not fully cooking it, about 20 minutes. I added some of the juices left from the meat, to the seasoned, browned flour. I sautéed the vegetables in the same pot as I browned the meat, added more garlic, a tablespoon of cumin, and then, 3 cups of water. I put the meat and veggie mixture into the floured pot. Let it cook for about an hour, on medium heat. If it looks as though there’s too much reduction, add a bit more water. There should be a thick consistency, soupy, like a slightly thickened broth. Even better the next day!! Thank you for the recipes you post. I love them and my family loves them as well!!