Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe on another website, it is courtesy of LPGA World Hall of Famer Nancy Lopez. A very good low-fat chili.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended Tabasco)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet, sauté chopped onions, minced garlic and chopped bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with crackers and cheese.
A keeper! Made this tonight, very quick and easy. I have never made turkey chili before... we have a beef chili recipe we love and I thought turkey chili might be lacking. But not so in this case! I added a few dashes of cumin and black pepper instead of the hot sauce. Very nice flavor, perhaps a tad too sweet for my taste so I'll halve the sugar next time. Thanks for a great weeknight recipe!
This was very good. I made a pot and stuck it in my crockpot to bring to work. Everyone enjoyed it.