Recipe by lazyme
DH hates tamales and I love them. I'm posting several recipes so that when he's out of town I can go on a tamale binge and know where to find the recipes! You can use either chicken or beef tamales for this. This one is from The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever by Natalie Haughton.
Top Review by Caroline Cooks
I love tamales!! This dish has a nice blend of flavors. Use lime-tomato salsa in place of tomatillo salsa; and used sliced Jalapenos. Made for the Crock Pot Event in Cooking Photos.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar tomatillo salsa, green
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili con carne, without beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 10 tamales, wrappers and husks removed
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place half of the diced onions in a 4-quart electric slow cooker.
- Top with half each of the salsa, the chili, beans and olives.
- Place 4 or 5 of the tamales on top.
- Cover the tamales with half of the chili strips.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining chili strips.
- Cover and cook on the low setting 6 1/2 to 7 hours.
- Pass shredded cheese and sour cream on the side.
- Tip: If you are using frozen tamales, the wrappers will be easier to
- remove if you microwave them for a few seconds first. Also, if using
- frozen tamales, increase cooking time about 1 hour.