Bean and Cornbread Casserole (Crock Pot)
photo by BB2011
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn
- Lightly grease Crock-Pot.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook onion and green bell pepper until tender.
- Transfer to Crock-Pot.
- Stir in kidney beans and pinto beans.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings, and hot sauce.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Stir in milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and cream-style corn.
- Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on High for 1 1/2 to 2 more hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Fantastic! I did spice up the beans more because we are immune to normal amounts of chili powder in my family, but was otherwise perfect as written! I was initially put off because of all the ingredients listed (stupid, I know), but it took about 5 minutes to put it all together. Next time I make this I will decrease the cornbread by about half, because there was just waaay too much. But unlike another reviewer, the cornbread cooked just fine for me. I'll be making this again very soon! Thanks for the great recipe!
My 11 year old daughter and I loved this. I made it on the stove as I left it too late to put in the crockpot. The only change I would make is that next time if I were using the stove top would be to add a little more liquid to the bean mixture ( but that was my fault for not realizing it needed more liquid on the stove). Overall this was very easy to make. Thanks for the recipe.