Recipe by Derf
Make this as spicy as you wish,add more or less,cumin, coriander, chili powder and jalapeno. We like it hot!! from Company's comming - diabetic cooking.
Top Review by PixieDust
Such a yummy rice and bean dish. I added an extra teaspoon of chili powder and a light sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little more spice. Very delicious and healthy too. Thanks for sharing this Dorothy.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn or 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, garlic, celery and jalapeno pepper in canola oil in large non stick frying pan for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cumin, coriander, chili powder and rice.
- Cook on medium, stirring occasionally until golden.
- Stir in carrot, water, bouillon powder and bay leaf.
- Cover; Simmer on medium low for 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomato and corn.
- Cover; heat for 15 to 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Stir in cilantro and 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Garnish with remaining parsley.