Pinto Beans and Rice in a Crock Pot (Or on Stove Top)
This is one of those good ol' down home meals. Add a pan of cornbread and you've got it made! You can obviously make this spicier by adding more chili powder, cayenne, jalapenos or just pass the Tabasco. Please note that the time shown is an estimate only as there will be a variance of heat from one crockpot to the next.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 5mins
- 1 (1 lb) bag dried pinto bean
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (kind in jar is okay)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- Rinse beans in colander.
- Put in a crock pot (or large pot).
- Cover with water, plus about 2 inches over top of beans.
- Add all ingredients, except rice.
- Cook on high in crock pot about 3 hours til tender. (Crockpots vary greatly on cooking times. It could take much longer in yours, so the first time allow longer to cook and then you will know how long cooking time will be in the future.).
- (Add water if necessary) May also cook on low overnight.
- Add rice and cook until rice is warm.
- Serve with cornbread.