Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my mother in law's, mother in law's sauce recipe. It is sweet due to the sugar, but it's my husband's favorite! The meatball recipe is one I adapted using parmesan cheese instead of eggs since my daughter is allergic to egg whites. This meal is yummy!
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6 ounce) cans water
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (29 ounce) can water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry onion flakes (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- cut up vegetables, such as green pepper, onions, mushrooms (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Sauce: combine all ingredients in large dutch oven.
- Simmer on stove top 3-5 hours.
- Meatballs: Combine all ingredients together in large bowl.
- Shape into balls and place in simmering sauce to cook.
- **the meatballs can be browned in oven or on stovetop instead of being cooked in sauce.
I made the meatballs and they were delicious. Just the recipe I needed. Simple meatballs with no egg. I didn't have any Parmesan so I used some mild cheddar. Very good and probably would be much better with the Parm. Simple is often the best and this recipe makes excellent meatballs.
I just made the meatballs, and not the sauce -- but the eggless meatballs were great! I was worried I wouldn't be able to make dinner as planned because I was out of eggs, so this recipe saved me. VERY yummy, could not tell the difference.
I made this for dinner last night, with pasta and minestrone soup, and it was great! 5 stars.