Sharon's Amazing Chicken Casserole
photo by Nimz_
- Ready In:
- 1 (16 ounce) package Pepperidge Farm stuffing (herb seasoned-blue package, see note above)
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup butter
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream soup (celery, mushroom, chicken)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped (rotisserie chicken works great!)
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet peas or 2 cups frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add dry stuffing, stir to coat evenly with butter.
- Layer 1/2 stuffing on bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In large bowl, combine evaporated milk, cream soups, and onion.
- Gently fold in peas and chicken.
- Pour chicken/soup mixture over stuffing in baking dish.
- Top with remaining stuffing.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbling in the middle.
- Serve and enjoy!
I'll give this recipe 5 stars for the great flavors. I love this type combination. I did however make some a few changes. I used two 6 oz boxes of Stove Top Savory Herb Stuffing Mix (I prefer that over the Pepperidge Farm) and only half the butter stated in the recipe and that was plenty for our liking. I also covered the dish for the first 30 minutes of baking and then uncovered the last 15 minutes and it still got a little toasty on top. There is a lot of stuffing mix in this recipe and boderline over-powering the chicken mixture. I did add a nice sprinkle of black papper and a thin layer of parmesan cheese to the chicken mixture before adding the final layer of stuffing. I will make this again with some adjustments on the stuffing mix. Thanks for sharing. Made for Let's Party 2011.
I have cooked this twice in last 3 weeks, it is wonderful! For the condensed soups, I used cream of chicken & cream of celery. A huge hit at my house. For those who state too much stuffing . . . personally, I think the amount is fine. One can obviously see how much is in the pot, and can easily adjust the amount used before putting in the oven. This really is an excellent chicken casserole.