Recipe by Susie D
This is a spicy chowder full of vegetables and ground turkey. An easy meal to prepare, most of the time is consumed in chopping vegetables!!Be sure to try it with the sweet potatoes in the chowder...they will surprise you with how they add to the recipe. This was created for RSC #5.
Top Review by Chef Kate
About time this wonderful recipe was discovered! Now, I made some changes, but I talked to Susie about them--I didn't change the 'soul' of this soup--and besides, I couldn't ever use Velveeta in anything. I cut down a bit on the butter and flour; I used super lean ground sirloin; I used extra sharp cheddar cheese; and, instead of tempering in the cream, I stirred in non-fat yogurt just before I served the soup. Once you have everything chopped and the cheese grated, this soup goes together so easily! It takes very little time and tastes like a soup you spent hours on. The heat from peppers is just right and I love the smokiness of the chipotles in adobo with the cheese. Really a wonderful soup which I will make many more times (but never with Velveeta).
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup raw sweet potato, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 chipotle chiles, minced, plus
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup longhorn cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese or 1 lb processed cheese, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut all vegetables to size-- I cut all of mine into approximately 1/2" pieces-- I found that it reduced the cooking time for them all to be similar in size.
- In soup pot, melt 2 T butter and brown the ground turkey.
- Add garlic& sauté until done.
- Add onions, green& red peppers, and zucchini-- sauté a few minutes until vegetables are limp.
- Stir in 1 T butter& flour.
- Add chicken stock, peas, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, salt, sage, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce,& black pepper.
- Bring to boil-- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover & let cook until all vegetables are tender, (approx 25 minutes).
- Ladle 2 cups of soup into mixing bowl-- SLOWLY stir in the half & half to prevent it from separating.
- Pour it SLOWLY back into soup pot, stirring frequently.
- Add both cheeses-- stir until cheese is melted and chowder is thickened.
- Taste & adjust salt/pepper if needed.