Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a pretty good version of the restaurant's Cajun gravy recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chicken gizzard
- 2 tablespoons minced green bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup ground pork
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash dried parsley flakes
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté hicken gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked. Remove gizzard from the pan and let cool. Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.
- Combine ground beef and ground pork. Mix with your hands until well mixed.
- Add bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute. Add ground beef and pork to the pan and cook brown. Mash meat into tiny pieces as it browns.
- Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in cornstarch and flour.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gravy until thick - about 30 to 35 minutes.