Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Heat oil, add onions and sauté for 15 minutes until beginning to brown.
- Add all other ingredients and cook further 10 minutes until mixture is thick.
- Cool, and serve with the basic meatloaf that has no sauce.
- Will keep in airtight container if fridge.
This was very easy to put together, had all the ingredients that I love, and the instructions were bang on. I'm not sure though if I really cared for it. I thought at first it might be the spices, but maybe it was the orange zest. Really puzzles me, because I *love* orange zest. Maybe my oranges were too big, resulting in too much zest. Hmmmm, come to think of it, they were pretty large. I'll have to make it again with less zest. Thanks Jewelies for sharing. Made for Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #28.
This was not our cup of tea. Don't know if the substituted pumpkin pie spice (at the suggestion of the chef) made it more bitter, but the combination of citrus and "something" tasted bitter (maybe too much garlic?). I did use 2 fresh squeezed oranges and the zest from one orange. Used yellow onions. One suggestion: Put the garlic in with the onions for the last few minutes of sauteing, or you bite into chunks of garlic. I think I'll stick with my Red Onion Marmalade :) This was submitted for Zaar Tag, or I wouldn't have reviewed at all.