Recipe by *Parsley*
Hearty and yummy.....low fat, too! Great with bread for a nice hot lunch.
Top Review by NewEnglandCook
This was a perfect recipe!! Thanks <br/>I made a seafood version w/ fresh cod, shrimps, and clams. <br/>I did not use green pepper or carrot but it came out great!!<br/>I served it with a brown wheat bread. <br/>This is a keeper, and a nice way to have chowder without all the calories!!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams, drain and RESERVE juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups clam juice, can use water, chick broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, about to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil.
- Add onions, carrots, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, reserved clam juice (from canned clams) and clam juice.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar, pepper, thyme, basil, bay leaf, and salt to taste.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender.
- Stir in the clams during the last 5 minutes of simmering.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.