Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hearty and yummy.....low fat, too! Great with bread for a nice hot lunch.
Make and share this Mommy's Manhattan Style Clam Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams, drain and RESERVE juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups clam juice, can use water, chick broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, about to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil.
- Add onions, carrots, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, reserved clam juice (from canned clams) and clam juice.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar, pepper, thyme, basil, bay leaf, and salt to taste.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender.
- Stir in the clams during the last 5 minutes of simmering.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
This was a perfect recipe!! Thanks <br/>I made a seafood version w/ fresh cod, shrimps, and clams. <br/>I did not use green pepper or carrot but it came out great!!<br/>I served it with a brown wheat bread. <br/>This is a keeper, and a nice way to have chowder without all the calories!!
I'm not usually one for this style of clam chowder, but then I'd never made it in my own kitchen before, either! I did use a finely chopped red bell pepper here, but other than that, very definitely followed the recipe on down, & we had a very satisfying chowder, one that I'll be happy to make again, thanks to your recipe! [Made & reviewed in Went to the Market tag]
This is really good. I love Manhattan chowder and very few places serve it around here. The only thing I left out was the green pepper(I like it it but it doesn't like me :) ) , but I may try the red pepper suggested by previous reviewer. Thanks for a great dinner on a rainy night!