Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These short ribs are wonderful. A real comfort dish, beautiful served with mashed potatoes and fresh garden peas. My family loves short ribs and we are always on the lookout for new ways to prepare them. I always buy short ribs with the bone, as they have the most flavor. The basic recipe is a friends, I've just changed a few things to make them perfect for my familys taste buds. I hope you will enjoy these as much as we do.
- 51.76 ml oil, sunflower
- 6 beef short ribs, bone in
- 2 leeks, use the white only, sliced
- 2 carrots, sweet, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, medium, sweet, sliced
- 2 shallots, french, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml salt, seasoned
- 2.46-4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml black pepper, freshly ground
- 118.29 ml balsamic vinegar
- 59.14 ml sugar, brown
- 3 sprig rosemary, fresh
- 1 sprig thyme, fresh
- 14.79 ml mustard, dijon
- 946.36 ml beef stock
- Heat oil in a heavy pan. I use a cast iron one.
- I sear the ribs, two at a time to give them space to cook, for about 5 minutes per side or until well browned.
- After all the ribs have been seared, remove from pan and put aside until needed.
- Add leeks, carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, shallots and garlic to the pan and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Now add the tomato paste, salt, red & black peppers to the vegetable mixture and cook for 8 - 10 minutes more.
- Next add the vinegar, sugar, rosemary, thyme, mustard, mix well and then add the beef stock.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Return the short ribs to the pot and bring to a low simmer and cover.
- Place in a 325 oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the ribs are tender.
- Remove the ribs from pot, cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove all vegetables from liquit and bring the liquid to a boil, cooking until reduce to 1 cup.
- Drizzle the glaze over the ribs and enjoy.
Wow, is this ever good. So rich and flavorful. Loved the parsnips. This is worth making just for the sauce. Going to put this one in my rotation for when I see short ribs on sale.
What a fantastic recipe! The sauce is absolutely superb--I blew my boyfriend out of the water with the flavor of these ribs. To speed up the process, I cooked for about 1hr on 325 then increased the heat to 350 for another 45 minutes and ribs were cooked perfectly. My only issue is my parsnips and carrots weren't completely cooked--perhaps that's my fault for not leaving them in the pan long enough...I wish I would have cooked them a little more beforehand. I paired with homemade mashed potatoes (the reduced gravy went perfectly). Thank you for sharing, I'll definitely make this again!
Absolutely delicious! What a great comfort meal -- loved the combination of the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar along with the tomato paste and mustard combination. I cooked this dish in my slow cooker and the aroma was intoxicating. We couldn't wait to dive in and this dish definitely lived up to it's name. Served this dish with your Green Beans Au Gratin. Made for Fall PAC, October, 2012.