Easy Sweet & Savory Korean BBQ Grilled Beef Short Ribs (Kal
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs beef short ribs (Flanken style or Korean style)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed (optional)
- 3 scallions, sliced lengthwise (optional)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup hot bean paste (optional) or 1/4 cup chili paste (optional)
- Rinse short ribs under the faucet to get rid of loose bone bits. Soak the short ribs in water for 10 minutes to drain out some of the blood. They can be soaked in a roasting pan, ziploc bag, or large bowl--- whatever container you would like to use for marinating.
- In your marinating container, combine sugar, water, soy sauce, sesame oil, onion, garlic, sesame seeds and scallions. Dissolve the sugar into the mixture as much as possible, but it will likely not become totally dissolved.
- Lay rib pieces in the marinade, dispersing onion slices between and on top of the meat and submerging the meat as much as possible.
- Let the beef marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes, and ideally overnight.
- Line the grill with foil and poke holes in the foil. On medium high heat, grill the short ribs 5-7 minutes on each side until the meat is cooked medium-well and the bones do not bleed. In my opinion, this particular dish is best with a bit of burnt edges and near-well-doneness.
- Serve with rice.
- Alternatively, add extra flair! Wash and break off whole leaves of red lettuce and place on a serving plate (note: red lettuce is not actually red and is widely available in grocery stores). In a small bowl, toss long thin slices of scallion with sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Serve short ribs cut into thirds or about 1 inch squares (kitchen shears work best). In a small dish, place spicy bean paste or hot sauce. To assemble, wrap each piece of meat in a red lettuce leaf with scallion mixture and a dot of the spicy sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe is truly great, yet I would add change to a quarter cup of toasted sesame seeds and a half a cup more soy sauce. This is a really great way to marinate short ribs, I know this would be great with pork ribs too. DON'T FORGET TO KEEP THE MARINADE FOR BASTING WHILE COOKING ON THE GRILL! The marinade is top notch excellent.