Braised Five Spice Beef Short Ribs
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Northern style braised short ribs.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 8 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 2 star anise
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomatoes, cut 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups celery, cut 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup onion, peeled and cubes
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup liquid, five spice braising
- oyster sauce
- Wrap five spices mix and star anise in cheese cloth.
- In an 10 quart, place ribs, spice mix and enough water to cover ribs. Cook over medium heat with lid on and allow meat to slow simmer 1 hour and reduce liquid by half. Remove ribs and save braising liquid. In same pot, add oil, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, celery and onion. Stir fry for a minute and add brandy and short ribs. Mix tomatoes sauce to taste, sugar, braising liquid and pour over ribs. Return to simmer until the sauce has thickened. Add oyster sauce to taste. Before serving remove the cheese cloth.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION