Wine Braised Boneless Short Ribs
Beef short ribs braised in a big red until tender and juicy. I call for chicken stock because of the quality of store bought beef broth. If you have good quality beef broth, then use it, but store bought broth is usually mostly flavoring and tastes metallic.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 4 boneless beef short ribs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup wine
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop onion, celery and carrot into one inch pieces. Mince garlic. Set aside. Dredge beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off extra flour.
- Heat dutch oven or other oven/stovetop safe deep pan over high heat till hot. Add oil and immediately add beef.
- Brown beef till all sides are dark golden brown. Remove from pan and add onion, carrot and celery.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Sauté till vegetables start to brown.
- Add wine and reduce by half.
- Add tomato paste, chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Return beef to pan, cover tightly and place in oven. Cook for about two hours or until beef is tender but not falling apart.
- Remove beef and strain vegetables off of sauce. Return liquid to pan and reduce until desired consistency.
- Season sauce to taste. Serve over spatzle, noodles or polenta. (or whatever else you please).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I shouldn't write anything, since I change things, but here goes: my husband liked it a lot - he said the sauce was very subtle. I subbed beef broth for the chicken, marjoram for thyme. I thickened up the sauce a little using a beurre manie (1 T flour mixed into a paste with 1 T butter) and I only had bone-in ribs. Still, it was a great success! Thanks so much for sharing. I could not have done this on my own!
Wow, this recipe is SO good. I've made it twice now and the only thing I tweaked was using beef broth and adding a bit more broth and wine. I don't take the veggies out, as they're so darn good. Such a great recipe!! Easy too! I literally stopped using my slow cooker and cook as much as possible in the Dutch oven.