Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Dried Apricot Pie (Posted by request) ** Please see the note regarding the amount of sugar.
Make and share this Dried Apricot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 18 ounces dried apricots
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the dried apricots in half and rinse them with water.
- Place them in a sauce pan with the water, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch with the orange liqueur and about 1 tablespoon of the apricots' cooking liquid.
- Mix until smooth then stir into the cooked apricots.
- Add the white sugar and combine.
- Pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell and seal with the top crust.
- Brush milk over top crust for color, if desired.
- Bake at 400°F for about 1 hour.
- **PLEASE NOTE: If your dried apricots are sweet, you may want to cut the amount of sugar from the 1 3/4 cups called for in the recipe to about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of sugar (or to your taste) to prevent the pie from being overly sweet. The dried apricots I use are quite tart/sour, so the 1 3/4 cups of sugar does not produce an overly sweet pie.
This was a pretty good pie. I didn't have orange liqueur so I tried substituting orange extract. Wasn't a very good idea, but I think I will try to make this pie again, with the liqueur and see how it turns out. The pie filling was a little bit more liquid than I like, but it might have been because of the substitution I made. Definitely try this recipe if you like apricots, it is good stuff.
I used the 18 ounces of dried apricots (by weight) and added 2 cups water and let them soak overnight in the fridge. In the morning I mixed up 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup sugar (didn't want them to sweet)and a tablespoon of Cointreau. Mixed in with the apricots and juice and microwaved at 3 minute intervals until it was thick and cooked. Let it cool and then made the pie. We found it too sweet and would not use even 1 cup of sugar next time. I think the dried apricots I have are sweet to begin with so maybe other apricots would need that much sugar.