Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I bought some cube steaks on a whim and then was not sure what to do with them. I liked the idea of slow cooking, but not the cream of soups and mixes that so many recipes featured. So I made this up based on what I had in my pantry. Mr Grumpy did not speak while eating, just made little moaning noises.. I guess that means he likes it!
- I used a 3 qt slow cooker, This did not fill it up halfway, so that a larger cooker will cook in a much shorter period of time, so please be aware of that.
- Rub flour onto both sides of the steaks, and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a skillet and brown the steaks on both sides, transferring to the slow cooker as they are done.
- In the meantime, put the carrots, onion, thyme and bay leaf in the slow cooker.
- Once the meat is done, reduce the heat and pour the wine into the skillet. Stir to loosen and dissolve the fond and let it simmer briefly to reduce the wine a bit. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the broth and tomato sauce into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 or 7 hours. At this point, the meat held together as I removed it, but was fork tender.
- Serve with the gravy that made itself in the crockpot. I found that this needed no additional salt, but you should adjust for your own tastes.
Thanks for sharing another great slow cooker recipe, duonyte. I've never eaten or prepared cube steaks, but this slow cooking method is great. The meat came out super-tender, and the resulting gravy was tasty as well. I also included some fresh garlic, Maggi seasoning and cayenne pepper for added flavor. I served everything over roasted buckwheat, and I must say the gravy was perfect on it.
This was a wonderful dinner served with corn. Made as directed with the only change being using beef broth instead of the chicken broth. Thanks for posting this keeper!
I'm not going to add stars because my version ended up being quite different from whats written. I have a habit of tagging only from the ingredient list and I did so with this recipe thinking that the flour would be for thickening the gravy. When I read that you are ask to flour and brown the cube steaks before putting them in the crock for several hr's I was surprised. In the 4 mins it would take to brown them the little steaks would be completely cooked to well done. I just couldn't see the point in frying them and then crock cooking them for up to 7 hrs. In my humble opinion the crust would get very soggy at best or simply cook away into the sauce and you would end up with very over cooked and dry meat. I put the steaks into the crock pot raw and proceeded with the rest of the ingredients. I added more carrots, garlic powder and a very light touch of cayenne. Cooked on low for 4 hrs the meat was really trying to fall apart when I took them out of the pot. I then used the flour mixed with some water to add to and thicken the sauce. It all came out delicious and was a real hit with my very hard to please DH. I'll be doing this again as I have several pkg's of cube steak's in the freezer. Thanks for sharing your recipe my friend, your really on to something good here. :D