Recipe by catmaniacs
Stuffing recipe that frees up valuable oven space at the holidays. I usually add the optional sausage. I use purchased bagged dry bread cubes from the grocery store to save time. Feel free to make your own bread cubes if you want. Mine cooks in 3-4 hours on Low after the initial 45 minutes on High. (The first 45 minutes on High are important due to the eggs.) Recipe calls for 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, but I usually use 3 cups. Amount used depends on how moist you like your stuffing. Just in case you prefer your stuffing cooked in the oven, directions are provided.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 lb sausage, cooked and drained (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, as needed (I usually use about 3 cups)
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: This recipe is designed for use in a standard 4 quart slow cooker. Larger slow cookers will also work.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent.
- Spoon cooked vegetables (and optional cooked sausage, if using) over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten (don't use full amount listed at first, more can be added as needed), and mix in eggs.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover. Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours. (I find that four hours is plenty with the newer slow cookers. Cook time will depend upon your slow cooker).
- OVEN OPTION: Prepare as directed using the full amount of broth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish or other large casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).