I was looking for a cabbage casserole without the tomatoes and adapted this recipe which has been gladly added to our favorites! The creamy cabbage with the chicken goes so well together... an absolute comfort food.
- 1 cabbage (shredded)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 celery rib (chopped)
- 4 chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups bechamel sauce (envelope mix, or your own)
- 1 (8 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup buttered bread crumb
- Boil cabbage in salted water for 5 minutes, drain and put aside.
- Melt butter and oil in large skillet, brown chicken until golden.
- Add onion and celery, continue cooking until vegetables are translucent, but not cooked through.
- Add rice, chicken broth and wine, bring to a good simmer, cook until rice is tender, approx 15 minutes.
- Prepare bechamel sauce as per indications on package, incorporate cream of chicken soup and milk, mix well, heat through.
- Butter casserole, distribute half of cabbage in bottom of casserole, add chicken and rice preparation and put remaining cabbage on top.
- Pour bechamel cream sauce over the casserole. Gently tap the casserole on the counter in order to spread out the sauce all the way to the bottom.
- Cover with tin foil, cook for 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove foil, scatter bread crumbs all over top and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
This was good, but not fantastic. It seemed like it was lacking a little flavor - maybe needed more herbs and spices. Also, even with the recommendation below to add the rice early, the rice was still undercooked. I cooked it the full length, if not a little longer. As for the bread crumbs, I used spray butter, but next time I might actually toss it in melted butter to coat more, because it was very powdery - didn't even use the full amount called for. So yea...good, but probably not going to do this one again.
Delicious recipe!! I used White Vermouth for the wine. My cabbage weight was 3 lbs. and my chicken came to 2 lb,12oz. I sauted the rice along with the celery and onions. I think it adds even more flavor and also assures that the rice gets tender.With the seasonings I added fresh ground nutmeg. For us a must with cabbage. It filled a 10x15 casserole and made 15 Ladies very happy. :-) Thanks for a great new casserole.
Our whole family loved this recipe! That includes a 3 and picky eater 6 year old. I made several adjustments based on what I had on hand: -no white wine -doubled rice -less butter/oil -1/2'd chicken -added can of white beans -no cr. of chicken soup - I didn't want to add since I was making my own white sauce. I added 2 cups no-fat plain yogurt and more milk for the white sauce. -added some parm. cheese with the bread crumbs on top. I made up and then cooked in a 325 oven for a couple hours while we were out in the snow. A wonderful winter meal to come inside to enjoy! The only down side to this is it is not an attractive-looking dish. I wish I could think of an ingrediant to add some color. This recipe is a keeper. You could easily make vegetarian by adding all beans and no chicken. A tasty and healthy meal for a family.