Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
I created this recipe when I was 20, I was always invited to the family get togethers, but never asked to bring something- I was still considered one of the "kids." I tried to copy an appetizer I had at a Jersey Shore restaurant- not sure which one. It became a family classic and I am always asked to bring it now. They reheat very easy in the oven. How many you get depends on the size of the mushrooms, you can also substitute Parmesan for the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove stems from mushrooms, place caps open end up in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Very finely chop mushroom stems.
- Sauté stems, green pepper and onion in 4 tablespoons butter until translucent (not browned), use more butter if needed.
- And seasoning and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Gently stir in crab, mayonnaise and breadcrumbs, over a low heat, bring to a slight boil for 1 minute.
- Scoop mixture into mushroom caps.
- Pour melted butter over caps.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve as is or with lemon wedges.
These were quite tasty! I substituted portobellos for the button mushrooms and used imitation crab meat. I also cut the recipe down by half. Prep was quick and easy. I followed CountryLady's suggestion to cook for only 15 minutes. My husband enjoyed them immensely. I will definately make these again.
Amazing taste, I didn't use the button mushrooms I did upload a photo. I did mess up a little bit I ended up liquefying my peppers. pressed the wrong chop button. Didn't mess with the taste at all. My husband enjoyed these a lot as well. Will be making these again would love to try the smaller mushrooms for a nice appetizer for a party or something. yummy.. Thank you for sharing!<br/><br/>_ need to add info I forgot about making these. and the image looked like my image not until after I printed this and then read my own review for this again. haha i'm naturally back at it. and i plan on taking a better photo!
OMG! These were wonderful. I knew when I tasted the filling that they would be amazing. I used fresh crabmeat, no green pepper, added some garlic, and did not pour over extra butter at the end. The filling was plenty moist and it was wonderful.