Recipe by Dawnab
I created this recipe when I was 20, I was always invited to the family get togethers, but never asked to bring something- I was still considered one of the "kids." I tried to copy an appetizer I had at a Jersey Shore restaurant- not sure which one. It became a family classic and I am always asked to bring it now. They reheat very easy in the oven. How many you get depends on the size of the mushrooms, you can also substitute Parmesan for the breadcrumbs.
Top Review by Chef Arleene
These were quite tasty! I substituted portobellos for the button mushrooms and used imitation crab meat. I also cut the recipe down by half. Prep was quick and easy. I followed CountryLady's suggestion to cook for only 15 minutes. My husband enjoyed them immensely. I will definately make these again.
- 1 lb button mushroom
- 1 medium green pepper, very finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat or 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat, drained
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove stems from mushrooms, place caps open end up in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Very finely chop mushroom stems.
- Sauté stems, green pepper and onion in 4 tablespoons butter until translucent (not browned), use more butter if needed.
- And seasoning and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Gently stir in crab, mayonnaise and breadcrumbs, over a low heat, bring to a slight boil for 1 minute.
- Scoop mixture into mushroom caps.
- Pour melted butter over caps.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve as is or with lemon wedges.