My mom made this when I was a kid growing up. I remember smelling this, waiting was so hard. I changed it a little so my kids love it now as much as I did. The pineapple with the sauerkraut really makes it different and very tasty.
- Trim as much fat as possible off pork.
- Put flour zip lock bag add pork & shake well to coat.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in stock pot.
- Add pork; brown on both sides. Remove pork from pot (may need to do this in 2 batches, adding more oil if needed).
- Slice onions then cut in half once mince garlic and saute with onion until translucent (again you may need to add more oil).
- Add undrained sauerkraut, undrained pineapple, bay leaves, and caraway seeds.
- Return pork.
- Mix gently but well.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 3 hours.
- If the liquid evaporates to quickly turn down heat and add some water. It should stay slightly watery.
- Gently remove pork and place on serving tray. Then remove sauerkraut and place next to pork.
- Salt and pepper (you don't need much salt).
- Serve with boiled potatoes.
I wish I could give this more than five stars - even my DH said it was worth 10. What an absolutely simple recipe to prepare to end up tasting so wonderful. The addition of pineapple to the sauerkraut is a truly inspirational addition as it mellows the sauerkraut enough to entice, even me, to go back for seconds. Thank you aprincessmom for posting this - this will be used regularly!
My dad is German so we ate our share of sauerkraut growing up. I can't say it was a favorite of mine but I liked it well enough. But this....I loved this!! I've made it more than once now and I just can't get enough. The pineapple really adds a lot to this dish.
This is an excellent recipe. I made it the second time in 3 weeks tonight for dinner. I originally made it for my DH because he loves sauerkraut. I couldn't believe how much I loved it considering I wasn't a sauerkraut eater. The pineapple mellows the sauerkraut perfectly. Tonight I added chopped apples to the sauerkraut mixture on the bottom. My mom in law loved it and is taking the recipe home with her. Thank you for sharing this great recipe!