Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My mom made this when I was a kid growing up. I remember smelling this, waiting was so hard. I changed it a little so my kids love it now as much as I did. The pineapple with the sauerkraut really makes it different and very tasty.
- 4 lbs boneless pork ribs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil (you may need more)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Trim as much fat as possible off pork.
- Put flour zip lock bag add pork & shake well to coat.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in stock pot.
- Add pork; brown on both sides. Remove pork from pot (may need to do this in 2 batches, adding more oil if needed).
- Slice onions then cut in half once mince garlic and saute with onion until translucent (again you may need to add more oil).
- Add undrained sauerkraut, undrained pineapple, bay leaves, and caraway seeds.
- Return pork.
- Mix gently but well.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 3 hours.
- If the liquid evaporates to quickly turn down heat and add some water. It should stay slightly watery.
- Gently remove pork and place on serving tray. Then remove sauerkraut and place next to pork.
- Salt and pepper (you don't need much salt).
- Serve with boiled potatoes.
I wish I could give this more than five stars - even my DH said it was worth 10. What an absolutely simple recipe to prepare to end up tasting so wonderful. The addition of pineapple to the sauerkraut is a truly inspirational addition as it mellows the sauerkraut enough to entice, even me, to go back for seconds. Thank you aprincessmom for posting this - this will be used regularly!
Sooooo Good! I was looking for a way to use up last years sauerkraut and just happened to have fresh pineapple! Used boneless pork loin chops. I think the caraway and pineapple put this dish over the top! Thank you for a new favorite!
Oh so good! Was a little skeptical at first because I don't normally like fruit with meat. But decided to try it and it was delicious. Sweet and tangy. Had a large pkg of ribs so on a whim invited friends to join us. Thumbs up! They also loved it. Shared the recipe with two of my BF's one has already made it and they loved it.