Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My mom made this when I was a kid growing up. I remember smelling this, waiting was so hard. I changed it a little so my kids love it now as much as I did. The pineapple with the sauerkraut really makes it different and very tasty.
- Trim as much fat as possible off pork.
- Put flour zip lock bag add pork & shake well to coat.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in stock pot.
- Add pork; brown on both sides. Remove pork from pot (may need to do this in 2 batches, adding more oil if needed).
- Slice onions then cut in half once mince garlic and saute with onion until translucent (again you may need to add more oil).
- Add undrained sauerkraut, undrained pineapple, bay leaves, and caraway seeds.
- Return pork.
- Mix gently but well.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 3 hours.
- If the liquid evaporates to quickly turn down heat and add some water. It should stay slightly watery.
- Gently remove pork and place on serving tray. Then remove sauerkraut and place next to pork.
- Salt and pepper (you don't need much salt).
- Serve with boiled potatoes.
I wish I could give this more than five stars - even my DH said it was worth 10. What an absolutely simple recipe to prepare to end up tasting so wonderful. The addition of pineapple to the sauerkraut is a truly inspirational addition as it mellows the sauerkraut enough to entice, even me, to go back for seconds. Thank you aprincessmom for posting this - this will be used regularly!
Oh so good! Was a little skeptical at first because I don't normally like fruit with meat. But decided to try it and it was delicious. Sweet and tangy. Had a large pkg of ribs so on a whim invited friends to join us. Thumbs up! They also loved it. Shared the recipe with two of my BF's one has already made it and they loved it.
My dad is German so we ate our share of sauerkraut growing up. I can't say it was a favorite of mine but I liked it well enough. But this....I loved this!! I've made it more than once now and I just can't get enough. The pineapple really adds a lot to this dish.