Baked Spareribs With Sauerkraut and Apples
Hearty supper! A favorite here.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 8mins
- 3 lbs spareribs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut (undrained)
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oven to 450°F degrees.
- Cut ribs into serving pieces.
- Place in 13x9-inch pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350°F degrees.
- Remove ribs; drain fat from pan.
- In same pan, combine sauerkraut, sugar, apples, onion, and water.
- Spread it all out evenly.
- Put ribs on top; bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hrs, stirring occasionally.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I have this same recipe but with the following changes: 1. After reducing temp, cook another hour at 350 degrees. Then drain fat. 2. For sauerkraut mixture, no water, no sugar - instead 1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds 3. At the end to cook covered for 1 hour, turn ribs occasionally and only add water if needed. Rib meat should fall off the bone when done.
This is simply the best spareribs and sauerkraut recipe I have ever made!! I had been making them the way my German mother-in-law did on to of the stove and I would end up with soupy kraut and mushy meat. This kraut is so flavorful and the meat is wonderfully roasted. I did rinse my kraut and added more brown sugar and cooked closer to 2 hours. Thank you for this winner of a recipe.