Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This salad, incorporating healthful beans, brown rice and crunchy veggies, is so pretty and tasty. I have called for pre-cooked brown rice and not taken it into account in the cooking time of this recipe.
- 118.29 ml olive oil or 118.29 ml salad oil
- 44.37 ml white vinegar
- 14.79 ml prepared mustard or 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml dried onion, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon if using granules)
- 1.23 ml dried garlic granules (or 1 small clove, very finely chopped)
- 425.24 g can red kidney beans, drained
- 473.18 ml brown rice, precooked
- 236.59 ml cherry tomatoes or 236.59 ml grape tomatoes
- 236.59 ml parsley or 236.59 ml cilantro, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, chopped into size of kidney beans
- 118.29 ml yellow bell peppers or 118.29 ml orange bell pepper, chopped into size of kidney beans
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, cut into cubes size of kidney beans
- 78.07 ml red onion, finely chopped
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Combine all salad ingredients and toss in vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt and vinegar, if you feel it necessary.
- Allow salad to marinate in refrigerator for 1/2 an hour before serving. Toss again before serving.
1/13/11 - A very good salad! I followed the recipe, using the olive oil, Dijon, dried onions, garlic powder, grape tomatoes, cilantro and orange bell pepper options. I think the only thing I'd change in the future is to cut back on the oil and add a little extra spice. The cilantro is a great addition, compared to parsley, because of it's strong presence, but I still think the overall flavor could use a seasoning boost. Thanks for sharing your creation, Ev! Made & enjoyed for Hidden Gems - Winter 2010
1/18/11 - UPDATE: Evelyn, DS and I literally inhaled this salad over the course of 3 days. I'm actually making it again right now because we've been craving it for the 3 days since we ran out! I can't even express what a delicious salad creation this is and with my new gluten free diet, this turns out to be a very satisfying snack or lunch during the day; the two most difficult meals on the GF diet. Thanks again for submitting it! :D