I have seen this recipe on several different blogs on the internet. Who can resist the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, in cupcake form, topped with a cream cheese peanut butter mousse-like frosting? Certainly not me! I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
For the filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cake
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- To make the FILLING
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls (at least 24) and set aside on a baking sheet.
- To make the CAKE BATTER.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; whisk together and set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix just until incorporated.
- Spoon a tablespoon or two of batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Place a ball of the peanut butter filling in each cupcake well and top with the remaining batter so that all the cups are filled.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the FROSTING.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth and well blended.
- Mix in the whipped topping until smooth and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.