Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From a Maxwell House pamphlet. This is so scrumptious. My coffee pot does not have a decanter/glass pot so I make this a bit different than how they stated. I've included both ways in case your coffee pot has an internal system instead of using a decanter.
- IF YOU HAVE A SEPARATE DECANTER/GLASS POT: Place the coffee in the filter in the brew basket of the coffee maker. Place the sugar in the empty pot of the coffee maker. Prepare the coffee with the cold water. When the brewing is complete, stir in the almond extract until mixed well. Go to step 3.
- IF YOU HAVE AN INTERNAL SYSTEM, FOLLOW THESE: Place the ground coffee in the brew basket. Prepare the coffee with the cold water. Place the sugar in a medium-large saucepan or a glass pitcher. When the brewing is complete, pour the brewed coffee into the saucepan with the sugar and add the almond extract and stir until well mixed.
- STEP 3: Microwave the half-and-half and chocolate in a medium microwavable bowl on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Stir this into the brewed flavored coffee (if using the saucepan) or add the coffee to this bowl if using a decanter.
- Pour into large cups or mugs.
- If desired, top each serving with whipped cream and chocolate curls.
- Serve immediately.
Easy to make. At first I could taste the almond and wasn't real sure if I liked it but the more I drank the more I enjoyed it. Made for Chef Alphabet Soup.
What can go wrong with coffee, chocolate and almond? Nothing! Well, my first attempt went terribly wrong because my powdered almond milk turned out to be over - that was one terrible culinary accident LOL But when I used almond butter to replace almond flavor (can't find it in Germany) and milk, it was absolutely lovely! Used truvia for sweetening and 90 percent chocolate and could have had two mugs at once. This definitely is a keeper!! Thanks for sharing!
Made for Best of 2010.
I must say you made me a happy camper. DH is not a fan of hazelnut or almond coffee however; I love both, so I adapted this recipe so that both could be happy. I placed about 1/2 TBS. chocolate chips in the bottom of a travel mug, poured a bit of hot brewed coffee over the top and stirred to melt the chocolate. I then added a bit more coffee the 1/4 tsp. almond extract (I too like it to stand out) and then I topped it all off with 1/2 & 1/2 to my liking. Viola! I had a very tasty designer blend coffee and DH had plain ol' Joe! I did not add the sugar or whipped cream because I do not care for the extra sweetness. Thanks for posting Hokie...I will definitely be making this one often. Made and reviewed for Potluck Tag.