Sweet Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries (sweetened, sliced and thawed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon and almond extract, set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture.
- Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over strawberry mixture.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made this pretty much as given & we have A WONDERFUL STRAWBERRY DESSERT! Easy to make & great taste! So much better than a boxed mix! And, although it couldn't be better, I do want to try it as Susiecat too did, with the mixed berries, since I always have those in the freezer, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]