Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very easy, healthy, frugal and most important, delicious! This recipe comes from "Everyday Light Meals" from Taste of Home. It is also good topped with a dollop of sour cream and some salsa.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3⁄4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 3 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, combine the onion, carrots, lentils, rice, cheese, green pepper and seasonings. Stir in broth and tomatoes.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350°F for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until the liquid is absorbed and lentils and rice are tender.
I really enjoyed this recipe - SO simple, but flavorful and filling. It smelled so wonderful when it was cooking, it brought my neighbor over! (When I told him what was in it, he turned it down. What did he expect?!? A cheeseburger??!) I also love that I was able to make this recipe for about $5.00 - always a plus! Thanks, TexasToaster, for another great recipe. PAC Fall 2009.
I would do almost anything to be hot, except eat healthily and exercise . But this is a start...
This was a big hit in our house. The flavors were bold enough to satisfy my daughter who loves spicy food but not too overpowering for the one who doesn't. It was so easy to put together and only having to use one pot was a big plus.