Recipe by TexasToast R
Very easy, healthy, frugal and most important, delicious! This recipe comes from "Everyday Light Meals" from Taste of Home. It is also good topped with a dollop of sour cream and some salsa.
Top Review by AnnieLynne
I really enjoyed this recipe - SO simple, but flavorful and filling. It smelled so wonderful when it was cooking, it brought my neighbor over! (When I told him what was in it, he turned it down. What did he expect?!? A cheeseburger??!) I also love that I was able to make this recipe for about $5.00 - always a plus! Thanks, TexasToaster, for another great recipe. PAC Fall 2009.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3⁄4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, combine the onion, carrots, lentils, rice, cheese, green pepper and seasonings. Stir in broth and tomatoes.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350°F for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until the liquid is absorbed and lentils and rice are tender.