Spicy Rice, Bean and Lentil Casserole
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn kernels or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup mild salsa or 1 cup hot salsa
- In a non stick saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, onions and green pepper, cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock, brown rice, lentils, basil and chili powder, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in beans, corn and salsa, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Join The Conversation
Absolutely delicious! I made this exactly as written, except I used white rice instead of brown. The flavor was a little bland for us, so I added some hot sauce at the table. Next time I will add some jalapenos to the sauteed vegetables. To change it up, I may add some mango salsa. I think the sweet/hot mixture will be delicious with the flavor combination that is already here.