Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- Put split peas and ham hock in a large soup pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for two and a half hours.
- Add vegetables and seasonings. Continue to cook for another half hour.
- Remove soup from heat. Remove the ham hock and let it cool. Strip any meat from the hock and finely chop. Add back to the soup.
- Put the soup back on low heat.
- In a small skillet melt the butter over medium heat, and add the flour. Cook for about one minute and add about one ladle full of soup. Cook until it begins to boil and then add the soup. Stir the soup until it thickens.
- Serve with bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a teacher in Cluj, Romania. I am social person who loves to throw parties, especially dinner parties.