Chili Mac Casserole
The original of this somewhat spicy mac-&-cheese -- now slightly tweaked -- was found in the 2006 cookbook, Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion & garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & coat a 13"x9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies & seasonings to beef mixture & stir to combine.
- Drain macaroni, then add it to the beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour beef & macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish, then cover & bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Uncover & sprinkle with the shredded cheese, then return to oven & bake another 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made this for Zaar Alphabet Soup tag game and DH and I really like this. I did cut it down for the two of us, used more pasta per some reviews, used a can of rotel tomatoes (which I liked the spice of) and used some adzuki beans which I had leftover from cooking them up the other day. Otherwise I followed the recipe. Next time I will add some corn but we really enjoyed this for dinner with a green salad and some french bread. Thank you for posting.1Reply
see 18 more