Rustic Round Herb Bread
photo by Nyteglori
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & coat the inside of a 9"round baking pan (or a 9" pie pan) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 1st nine ingredients (from the flour to & including the dill weed), & mix well.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt & milk, then stir this egg mixture into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Spoon into the prepared baking pan & sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack before cutting into wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a great tasting bread. I made it to go along with a soup dinner and, for me, it stole the show. It rises high and really fluffy and the flavor is most enjoyable. I use whole wheat flour, asiago cheese for the cheddar, 1 tsp of Splenda and skipped the dill. I totally forgot the poppy seeds on top. Yummy bread that I'll make again!
Oh, I so love a good savory quick bread, and this one is no exception! I really wanted to try this as just an herb bread so I skipped the cheese; it was tasty but if I do that again next time I will add a bit more liquid to the batter. I used 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 spelt flour and forgot all about the sugar, but it still turned out quite good. Thanks so much for posting; this was perfect with a salad on this late summer night and will be great with soup this winter! Made for Veg*n Swap #14.
see 3 more reviews